It’s quite difficult to find ‘pickling’ cucumbers in Australia where I lived. They are more of an heirloom speciality product to be found at a higher price at Farmer’s Markets. I love the look of pickling cucumbers with all the little pimply prints on on the other skin. They taste great and are lovely and crisp, so of course, I simply had to make pickled cucumbers! I used to teach this recipe, it’s one of my favourites.
Spicy pickled cucumbers
- 1 kg continental cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion thinly sliced
- 1 chilli of choice per jar (optional)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Thinly slice the cucumbers and and layer place in a large bowl. Add salt and stir well.
- Leave for 10 minutes
- Rinse cucumbers and drain well
- Top and tail the chillies. Place one in each jar.
- Place all the remaining ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Pile up cucumbers and chillies in the jars
- Add hot liquid
Apply lids and process in a water bath for 10 mins or store in the fridge. Best eaten after 1 week but delicious from 1 hour! Like this recipe? Did you know I teach preserving workshops?